Why a silk pillowcase could be the secret solution your skin and hair? Why you should invest in one?
Silk pillowcases are now a constant feature in many top beauty magazines. Hairdressers, makeup artists, and dermatologists all urge you to ditch your old cotton pillowcases and make the switch, but why exactly?
The top 15 silk pillowcase Benefits For Your Skin & Hair
1. Suitable for the most sensitive skin. The smooth surface of silk means that friction is reduced between your face and the pillowcase lowering the chances of skin irritation and infection, often leading to acne flare-ups.
2. A silk pillowcase does not draw away moisture like cotton. Instead, by allowing the moisture to stay where it’s needed, silk pillowcases help to maintain a healthy, hydrated scalp which is important to boost stronger, healthier hairs, and has even been known to prevent hair loss.
3. Sleeping on silk has anti-aging benefits. Mulberry silk is a natural material and contains vital proteins and 18 amino acids, which are absorbed by your skin whilst you sleep to promote cell regeneration and repair whilst increasing your skin’s hydration giving you that morning glow.
4. Silk is a natural product and hypoallergenic.
5. Less absorbent than cotton. Silk pillowcases will hold less dirt and grime with repetitive use, helping to reduce those acne breakouts.
6. Wonderfully cooling in summer.
7. Warming in winter.
8. Sleeping on a silk pillowcase feels luxurious.
9. Silk is a smooth fabric that reduces hair frizz. The super-smooth surface of the 22 momme pure mulberry silk allows your hair to freely glide over the pillowcase whilst you sleep, meaning you’re less likely to wake up with tangles and dreaded bed-head.
10. Beauty benefits include fewer fine lines and wrinkles. Have you ever woken up with sleep lines on your face, leading to premature aging? Sleeping on the smooth surface of a pure 22 momme mulberry silk pillowcase can minimize the appearance of sleep creases which have been linked to premature wrinkle formation by research.
11. A good quality silk pillowcase is long-lasting.
14. Silk is very quick-drying.
15. Bed mite repellant. The hypoallergenic nature of our mulberry silk means that it’s naturally resistant to dust mites, molds, and other allergens.
Do silk pillowcases prevent wrinkles?
Our faces are on pillowcases for a considerable chunk of the day. If you have acne-prone or sensitive skin, you’ll know the worry that can come with sleeping on your face.
Silk is naturally hypoallergenic. It is also reported to provide relief for those with skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis, and because it is so gentle on the skin it can be very beneficial for those who are undergoing chemotherapy and have susceptible skin as a result of their treatment.
Silk is antibacterial and hypoallergenic. Silk pillowcases have less of a chance of harboring harmful germs. Silk is gentle on the skin. Silk can help to hydrate skin – which can reduce the cost of face creams and other skincare potions. Plenty of anecdotal evidence suggests that another benefit of sleeping on a silk pillowcase can minimize fine lines and wrinkles and give silk fans a youthful, glowing complexion.
Do Silk Pillowcases Keep You Cooler?
Sleeping on silk is so soothing, and it is renowned for its anti-aging properties and gentleness as well. Hot flushes can also be reduced by sleeping on silk. Silk is a favorite of women who have reached a certain point in their lives because it can help them sleep through the night without waking up due to too much heat.
Silk can absorb up to 30% of its own weight in moisture, which can really help those who suffer from night sweats, whether due to hormones, medication, or other health-related factors.
Does Sleeping On A Silk Pillowcase Keep You Warm In Winter?
The silk fabric is cool in the summer or for those who experience hot flushes or night sweats, but what about when the weather turns colder? Well, silk is also excellent at retaining heat, so it minimizes waking up at night because you feel cold. It may help you save money on your heating bills as well.
If things get really heated, though, and a fire breaks out, silk will help to protect you. Silk bed linen isn't flammable, so unlike many other furniture and soft furnishing items around the house, it will not spread like wildfire.
Will A Silk Pillowcase Will Reduce Hair Frizz?
When you sleep on silk, your hair is smoother and sleeker, which also affects hair care. Split ends are often caused by friction, and frizz is not helped by friction either. Silk is especially beneficial to those with Afro Caribbean hair, as it keeps those tiny, tight curls under control.
Silk pillowcases aren't just for taming afro hair. A lot of people struggle with frizzy hair as well. Sleeping on silk rather than a rougher fabric can help to keep hair soft and smooth - allowing silk pillowcase owners to spend less time using their GHDs or spending a fortune on salon blow dries.
Not all silk pillowcases are made equal. So what Are The Best Silk Pillowcases?
The quality of silk can vary greatly. So how do you determine what is good quality? Basically, there are two things to consider. The first is the weave. A charmeuse weave is the best weave used in making silk because it gives such a smooth and lustrous surface. This is all the better to rest sensitive skin or flyaway, frizzy hair on because it reduces friction.
The other thing to consider is the ‘momme’ count. Like a thread count as applied to cotton, the momme count gives an indication of the thickness of the material. A higher momme count is generally better, with 22 being the absolute ideal for pillowcases and bed linen.
At LoveSilk, we only use charmeuse 22 momme 100% Mulberry silk. The most luxurious silk you can buy.
What Are The Main Reasons To Sleep On A Silk Pillowcase?
1. Machine washable at 30 degrees
3. Bed mite repellant
6. Suitable for sensitive skin
9. Cooling in summer
10. Warming in winter
14. Reduces frizz
15. Reduces split ends
The very best silk pillowcase is:
1. Charmeuse weave
2. 22 momme count
3. 100% Mulberry
If you like the sound of these silk pillowcase benefits, why not try sleeping on luxury silk for yourself? It’s a small price to pay for enjoying so many nights of comfortable, luxurious beauty sleep, as well as smoother skin and hair. We have a range of colours to choose from including 100% Mulberry silk pillowcases.